Thursday, July 28, 2011

Food Is Love, Food Is Life

Ah, food. Something we all need to live, but something I love to make. Food is more than just a necessity, it is a passion and a creative outlet...a delicious one at that. Making food is making art, you start with nothing, just some plain simple ingredients when set on a counter alone, but once prepared and added together just the way you want, it's a masterpiece. Fabulous, just fabulous.



I love watching food network, it is inspiration at your cooking fingertips. It is my dream to be on food network. Whenever I watch it, I always seem to take a recipe they cooked and make it my own. I'll change a few ingredients and maybe the technique in which I cook it. By doing that, I've just created my own dish. I would say that is generally how new dishes are created, they were inspired by something else. To create, inspiration is always a helpful boost.

Last night I was inspired by my hunger, I made my own home-made Meaty Tomato Sauce. This idea was thought of off the top of my head, food network didn't aide in this idea.

This is the recipe for Meaty Tomato Sauce

Coat the bottom of your pot with olive oil and turn on the heat.

Chop 1.5 onions and drop in the bottom of the pot to start. They'll start to breakdown and all of the flavors of the onion will come out.

Mince 3 large garlic cloves. Add to the pot once the onions have started to brown and soften.

Once the onions and garlic have blended (cooked down a bit), add your choice of meat. Ground turkey, beef, or sausage will do the trick. I added ground beef, approximately 1lb.

Once the meat is added, season the meat with salt, pepper, and dried Italian seasoning. For fresh seasoning, use parsley, oregano, and basil finely minced.

After the meat has browned, add 16oz. canned tomato sauce, 1 regular sized can of diced tomatoes (with juice), and two freshly diced tomatoes. Stir everything until well incorporated.

Add more seasoning to pump up the flavor from the newly added tomato concoctions. Always flavor to taste. As in, stir in some seasoning and then taste to make sure the flavor is noticeable and delicious.

Let sauce simmer (about 45 min to an hour) until all of the tomatoes have broken down and all the ingredients are well meshed. The longer you let the sauce simmer, the better the flavors will blend. It could simmer for hours if desired.

Once ready, spoon over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy.

Sadly I wasn't able to take a picture, but it is delicious, I promise. I hope you enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment