Sunday, May 22, 2011

Baking Out Of The Box...Making Boxed Desserts A Little More Homemade

There can always be a dessert cafe in your house


Personally I'm not one to promote baking from a box, so I won't try and talk anyone into box baking unless they have to. If you have the time I will always say to go homemade. Homemade allows for more yum and gives you bragging rights. But there are times when a box dessert is all you can muster in your busy life. If that is the case, let's bring some life into it. You can always add something to make your dessert seem homemade.

You may not have a lot of time, but you should have the time to add to a pre-made batter. Here are some ideas for sprucing up your dessert menu.

The other day I made cinnamon streusel muffins. I admit, I'm guilty of using Betty Crocker  for this one, but I wasn't in my own house. I did add some things of my own though.

For ideas to spruce up these muffins...

1. Add fresh cinnamon from the pantry

2. Add pure vanilla extract for that extra kick of flavor

3. For the topping, take your own brown sugar, butter, and oats (if you want some crunch) to mix and crumble over the muffins before baking.

4. If you are a chocolate lover add some chocolate chips for an extra yummy flavor.

 

Another dessert to improve out of the box is the cake that made carrots famous...carrot cake.
Just a few easy steps improve this cake by mouthfuls.

1. Add fresh shredded carrots to enhance the texture, color, and flavor

2. Fold roughly chopped walnuts into the batter for an extra crunch. They also add a boost of protein.

3. Don't buy pre-made frosting. Mix vanilla yogurt (Stonyfield Farms organic fat free vanilla) with powered sugar for a sweet, but healthier option.

 
 Take an extra minute if you don't have the extra half hour or the ingredients to make everything. Because no matter how short on time you are, I hope you can put a little extra effort to make it your own.

And remember...sometimes life should be a sweet surrender. As long as you make it delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment